Investigators say the fire that killed a homeless man in Syracuse a week ago started when a fire pit was fashioned in an abandoned home he and another man were trying to keep warm.
The fire at 114 Lynch Street started in the first-floor kitchen. That's where investigators say the do-it-yourself fire pit was found that started the fire. Firefighters responding to the blaze pulled two men from the home. Mark Batsford died a day later from smoke inhalation, thermal injuries and carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Onondaga County coroner. The second man, Keith Hyde, is listed in fair condition.